Letters to my darlings:

Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Remembering Grandpa...

Today is a day of remembrance of someone very dear to me. My Grandfather. I miss him dearly and wish he was still here, but I know he is in a better place. I can still miss him though. I think about him often, remembering his laugh and his funny looks. I find letters that he wrote me and I can't help but read them. The other day John and I were out fishing on the boat and we were on the way back to the dock; it was windy and I was getting soaking wet. I talk to Grandpa, sometimes just to talk, to see how he is, sometimes just to let him know I still think of him. At this time, I asked for a little help with the water flying in the boat, just when I finished asking, a wave came into the boat and splashed me right in the face. I thought, "Yep, he was listening" Last year, I posted a journal entry that I had written and shared with my students to start them thinking on one story they would like to write and share with me. I thought it would be easier this year, but it wasn't, but I see it as a way for the students to get a glimpse of my life and what is important. I always get the best writing from them after this.

I found a letter the other day from March of 1988, it was from when he and Grandma had come and seen me ride horses in the Astrodome, it just reminded me of who he was, always thought so practical, but always seemed surprised when proven otherwise. Here is just a piece of what he wrote to me:
Well, you have been full of surprises lately haven't you? We really enjoyed watching you at the Astro Hall, and sitting in the stands with you. Maybe others felt you would win all the ribbons and belt buckles all along, but when I saw those real expensive horses, obviously highly trained, my only hope was that my 8 year old granddaughter on a regular horse could just not look too bad. Those worries were done away with the first ride, within 5 seconds of the time you took off. Seldom does one see such determination in one so young. You and your horse simply leaped into action, on a very slow event. Almost scared me after watching everything before at a slow walk, and so precise, so exact, so fancy. We felt with you when the only mistake you made all day cost you at least a second place, maybe first. Needless to stay we were pleased with how well you did - sort of wonder what you would be able to do in the future to beat how you did that day.

Hopefully I have topped that day in his eyes, many of times, I know I have, and I am blessed to have had him in my life for as long as I did. I still just wish he was here to see what great things his great-grandchildren will do. However, I know he is watching and being practical, and then giving a "Hmmmmp", that was good, when we do surprise him.

Below is a short slide show of some of my favorite pictures of my Grandpa F. Hope you enjoy the pictures and just give him a thought today.

Love you Grandpa, XOXO

1 comment:

Courtney said...

That's a great picture of the two of you in ski hats. Thanks for sharing with us.